My view of NYC

My view of NYC
My view of NYC

Friday, November 25, 2011

Module 5; 2nd Submit "Christmas Snow Globe 2011"




Module 5; 2nd Submit “Christmas Snow Globe 2011”

This was a very time consuming project which evolved as I went along. Some of the steps I did are listed below;
1-      I took my original Brooklyn Bridge photomontage and manipulated it into a sphere by using the 3D tool > new shape from layer > sphere.
2-      I superimposed this new image on top of the snow globe image by adjusting its size and position with the move tool key.
3-      I played with the opacity of the snow image so as not to lose the bubble details of the snow globe underneath it.
4-      I had to cut and paste all of the reflective light highlights on the snow globe. I took these segments of reflection from all the other snow globes I used in my project. I had to change the color cast of these varied highlights so they looked authentic in their new position. For example I casted the side highlights green so they would show a reflection of the pine tree that would have impacted their cast in real life. These side highlights also needed to be of less opacity in order to authenticate their position. The highlights on top of the globe needed to be brighter as they were not influenced by the pine branches and were in more direct alignment to the light source.
5-      I used the burn tool on 0% hardness and worked it under the snow globe where it sat on the stand in order to create a shadow. This made it look more authentic as there would be a slight shadow overhang from the globe onto the stand.
6-      The “Season’s Greetings from” font was Vivaldi. My gold color choice for these words was to mimic the gold of the snow globe stand and the pine branches. I sampled the gold color from a segment of the pine branch in order to get the correct cast and hue of the color. I double clicked the layer in order to bevel the lettering along with adding an inner glow to add further dimension.
7-      The “Brooklyn 2011” font was Old English Text MT. I chose to use two layers for this so I could better position the verbiage and adjust their warping differently. I manipulated the text by warping the words. I warded them differently as they would be placed in different spots on the snow globe and therefore have different curves. While the “Season’s Greetings from” was done in 100% opacity I chose to make the “Brooklyn Bridge 2011” wording in 80% opacity in order to make it more realistic on the glass globe. The choice of red for this verbiage was to tie back to the berries on the pine branch. I sampled a potion of the berry on the pine branch in order to choose a red color cast that worked with the image.
8-      In order to create the double picture frame I used the Rectangular Marquee tool to isolate the top and sides of the gold segments. I chose the red and gold colors by sampling the red and gold in the verbiage. This tied in the frame colors to the image composition. Once satisfied I created a copy that I transferred to the alternate sides by clicking on the segment while pressing the Alt button. I then double clicked this layer in the layer panel in order to access the bevel and inner/outer glow/shadow options.
9-      I repeated this process in order to create the red portion of the frame.
10-   I did the above two steps originally in reverse which unfortunately gave the impression that the gold segment protruded out from the red segment. I wanted it reversed, so the outer red segments protruded over the gold segments. I had to do the procedure in the reverse order in order to accomplish this.
Overall I’m pleased with this image and will make Christmas cards from it. I will need to save the image in a format that will best optimize the image’s print quality. I will make sure I tag my file with the RGB mode. The printer should then be able to change my image to CMYK mode for printing.

Image Citations;

Snow, Christine. “Brooklyn Bridge in Snow; 1883-2011”.
snow-globe-largethumb 5995122 misspageturerscityofbooks.blogspot.com

lens 1596462-1258315 squidoo.com

58329797articles.latimes.com

1085349-snowglobe journeysmomentslong.blogspot.com

snowglobe_full.jpg 91.freeze.com

No comments:

Post a Comment