My view of NYC

My view of NYC
My view of NYC

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Module 5 - 1st submission



This is the 1st of 2 images I will be submitting for this assignment. I used my own eye image as a starting point of my new image. I then added the layer of my Module 2 Photomontage submission to this composition. Below are some of the steps I performed in order to create this image;

1-      In order to create the spherical dynamic of my Brooklyn Bridge image I had to manipulate  by going to the tool bar; 3D > new shape from layer > sphere
2-      I next had to nestle the layer over my actual eye pupil by manipulating the size and position with the move tool.
3-      To create the feeling of the top of the being nestled under the top eyelid I used the burn tool. This added darkness and gave the impression of the upper lid overhanging the eye.
4-      I had to clean-up the white of my eye differently on both sides. The left sided needed to be lightened as well as having some red pigment removed. I sampled a color in my eye with the sampling tool and then I painted over the imperfections with a small soft brush. Next I used the smudge tool to blur and even out the area. I sampled a slightly lighter color and added it to the center area in order to create a slight highlight that gave the effect of depth and inferred the circularity of the eye.
5-      I added more eyelashes by choosing the brush that looks like a curved stroke. There are 2 such brushes curving in different directions so I alternated using them depending on where I was adding more lashes. I kept re-sampling colors so I had a gradation of colors within the lashes I added.
6-      I cleaned up the many imperfections around the bottom of my eye with the smudge tool.

Many other steps were taken in order to achieve my final image. The above 6 steps are just some of the manipulations I did. There were considerably more things I did (and undid!). I’m beginning to realize how important it is to document the steps I take in order to recreate similar effects in the future.

Images Cited;

Snow, Christine. "Brooklyn Bridge in Snow; 1883-2011".
Snow, Christine. "Eye Close-up; Self Portrait"


No comments:

Post a Comment